Friday, June 5, 2009

"No Taxation without Representation!"

Alex and I headed over to St. Paul on April 15th to take part in the local Tea Party. I was excited to take part in this grassroots movement. I am mad at myself for letting the protesters at the Republican National Convention keep me away, so I was determined to go. Alex had never been to any sort of political rally, so he did not know what to expect. I think he thought there would be protestors, but I had to explain that we were the protestors. 

It was the first time I visited the State Capitol. I was blown away by the amount of people that showed up. There were reports of 7,500+. There were a lot of great signs and several people even dressed up in period clothing.




Of course, I contributed with my own sign. 


It is not a tea party without tea . . .



From my observation, despite all the media reports, there was a mix of people rich/poor, black/white, Republican/Democrat . . . and a lesson learned to not judge a book by its cover. I would have guessed this guy would be someone that would protest the protest but I was wrong.


The whole experience was pretty neat. At the end of the day, despite what you believe, America is a great country and we are all lucky to live here.

USA! USA! USA!

1 comment:

Kristan said...

"I think he thought there would be protestors, but I had to explain that we were the protestors."

LOL!