Saturday, October 31, 2009

Skol Vikings!

Gosh time flies! A couple of weekends ago, Alex and I were fortunate enough to get tickets to attend the Minnesota Vikings versus the Baltimore Ravens game. It was the first Vikings game I have been too, the first time being in the Metrodome (now called the Mall of America Stadium), and technically the first NFL game I have been too.

It was a lot of fun. I love how the Vikings fans are diehard fans. They love their purple and gold. The Dome was incredibly loud. If I go to another game, I think I would bring ear plugs. It was that loud.

There has been a lot of drama in the news about Bret Favre unable to make up his mind about playing football. I really have no opinion on the topic seeing how I'm neither a Vikings fan or NFL fan in general. However, it seems that he made the right decision to come back. You can just tell the man loves to play football.


I was pretty surprised by the game in itself. The Vikings actually have a "fight song" that is sung when the team scores. They also have people run on to the field with flags that spell out "Vikings." It was quite amusing.



My favorite highlight was seeing Tom Zibikowski play for the Ravens. He played safety at Notre Dame. He was Alex's favorite player because he was tough. Zibby is also a champion boxer. It is neat to see players that you cheered on for 4 years do so well in the NFL.


As I mentioned, the fans are very crazy . . . and kind of scary!!!


A sort of related story to share . . . so as we were searching for a parking spot we came upon what seemed to be a run down hockey arena. When we asked the parking attendant what this building used to be she said this is where the Lakers used to play. As in the LA Lakers formerly the Minneapolis Lakers. It was a "aha!" moment. So that is why the Lakers are called the Lakers. They come from the "Land of 10,000 Lakes." And their colors are the same as the Vikings. However, it is hard to believe this is where they played 60 years ago compared to the present day Staples Center.


2 comments:

Kristan said...

How interesting! About the Lakers. I had no idea, but I love learning that kind of stuff too.

You know, I was all, OMG FAVRE, first you don't know how to say/spell your own last name (because Favre should definitely be FAV-RUH), and then you retire/don't retire/retire/don't retire?!

But then, like you said, you watch him play, and it's obvious he was born to do it. He loves it with all his heart. And that makes it okay with me.

(Because, you know, my opinion really matters to him. :P)

Looks like you had fun! :D

Mattie said...

You learn something new everyday!